So you want to be more involved in your community. That's great! It does not have to be super complicated to start being involved. Here are a few easy ways to go about doing so:
Step 1 Check Community Organizations Websites
A good place to start is to check any number of fine organizations that help out in the community. Some organizations are Kiwanis, Rotary, YMCA, Big Brothers Big Sisters, or any church in your area. These sites will provide information on their purpose, their mission, and any local club in your area. There are many fine organizations that provide service to the community. If one of the organizations mentioned above does not appeal to you, there are others.
- Alternatively, keep an eye out for any event being thrown in your community, such as Art On The Square, Wine, Dine, and Jazz, or a Chilli Cookoff (these examples being in Belleville, IL).
Step 2 Try Out a Meeting
Most of the organizations mentioned above will allow anyone to join a meeting or two, to provide you with more information about the organization and the projects that they work on in the community.
- If you do go to a meeting, don't feel pressured that you have to join that organization. It's up to you to determine if that organization or specific group is for you. You can still walk away or sample other groups in the area.
- If you do go to a meeting for information, you may get a few follow-up calls related to your interest, or a reiteration of what the organization is about. The best strategy is to be tactfully honest about your intention about the group and whether or not that group is for you. If you can provide feedback on what the group can do better, it would be appreciated.
Step 3 Joining
After trying out a few groups and you feel that one or more of them are for you, let the presiding officers know. The officers will then guide you on what to fill out and any dues that may be required for membership.
- Volunteering should ultimately be fun and of interest to you. Find something that you enjoy doing.
- Volunteering can have many side benefits, such as: pride in your community, learning about your community, warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you did good, networking, getting to know your community leaders, improve your communication skills, and seeing interesting stuff in your community.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades